Scoil Barra Naofa Cailíní, Beaumont.
Beaumont School 50th Anniversary.
Our school was 50 years old on April 1st 2018.
The P.A. redecorated the school in prepartation for the 50th anniversary. They asked the senior classes to make mood boards of features that we would like to see in the school building. Here are some of our mood boards.
Some girls made projects on the Life in the Sixties.
We celebrated the 50th anniversary on April 18th 2018. We began the day with a concert for our invited guests. Each class in the school sang songs at the concert. A choir made up of the sixth class boys and the sixth class girls sang at the concerts in both schools.
We had a special birthday cake on the day of the celebration. A sixth class pupil and a junior infant pupil were chosen to cut the birthday cake.
Our retired principal Mrs Murphy was one of the invited guests and she came to visit 6th class.
We had great fun the day after the celebrations. Everyone agreed that this day was one of our best days in school.
April 1st 2008 - 40th Anniversary of Beaumont Girls' School.
On Tuesday April 1st 2008, the Lord Mayor of Cork, Councillor Donal Counihan, formally marked the anniversary by planting a tree and sealing a time capsule for future generations.
The students and staff joined in the celebrations by dressing in the style of the times and wearing 60’s style clothing for the day.
The pupils from the original Junior Infants were invited to attend the celebrations and to see the changes in the school since they were pupils. Many of the original pupils are parents of current day pupils of the school.
The ceremonial tree planting to mark the 40th anniversary of Beaumont Girls' National School
Lord Mayor Cllr. Donal Counihan planting the tree with (from R-L) Lady Mayoress Breda Counihan, Fiodhna Ní Bhaoill, Eleanor Crowley, Fr Damien O’Mahony, Fr Tadgh O’Mathúna, Des Cahill, Noreen Power-Waldron, Dave Power and Tom O’Connor.
April 1st 1968.
In 1968, Mrs. Lehane, the first principal, started a new school in Beaumont, Cork. The school was under construction at the time and the first classes were held in pre-fabs in the playground of the Boys' School. The initial number of 30 students started their first day of school on April 1st, 1968.
The school population grew as the Beaumont area developed and an extension was added in 1974. The school, as it is today, was completed in 1976.
The school was built on the site of Beaumont House (1792); home to one William Beamish, founder of the Beamish Brewery (formerly Cork Porter Brewery). Later, this house was bought by Henry Ford as the Ford Motor Company prepared to build its assembly plant on the Marina. The house fell into disrepair and was demolished in the 1950’s.